Apr 22, 2024  
2023-2024 Undergraduate Catalog 
2023-2024 Undergraduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Film And Media Studies Minor

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Program Descriptions

Program: Minor
Interdisciplinary Studies

College of Liberal Arts
Liberal Arts Building 153 ~ 260-481-6160

Coordinator:  Steven Carr

The minor in film and media studies provides a coherent introduction to the basics of film/media literacy. The program is designed to develop a critical understanding of the historical, theoretical, aesthetic, cultural and institutional contexts of film, television, and other electronic and digital mass media.

Declaring this Minor:

  • Declare this minor through your major department, the department of Communication or the program’s coordinator.

Program Requirements:

  • The catalog term for the minor will match that of your major degree program
  • At least 6 credits must be earned as resident credit at the 2000+ level or above
  • You must earn a grade of C- or higher for all courses required in the minor
  • A minor is not awarded if requirements are not completed by the time your major degree is certified for graduation

To earn the minor in Film and Media Studies, you must fulfill the following requirements in addition to those noted above:

Core Requirements

Film/Media Aesthetics: Credits 3

Choose one of the following:

Film/Media History: Credits 3

Choose one of the following:

Additional Course: Credits 3

Choose one of the following:

Total Credits: 15

Student Responsibility

You are responsible for ensuring that you satisfy all graduation requirements specified for each selected program.  Thus, it is essential that you develop a thorough understanding of the required courses, academic policies, and procedures governing your academic career.  If you cannot complete all program requirements by your stated graduation date but fail to remove those from your plan of study, the Registrar’s Office in consultation with your academic advisor will remove unmet pursuits from your plan of study. Changing curricular records during the graduation term of application may affect state or federal financial aid awards. All requests for exceptions to specific requirements must be made in writing and may be granted only by written approval from the appropriate chair or dean. 

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Program Descriptions