Nov 28, 2020
Department of Physics
College of Arts and Sciences
Kettler Hall 126B ~ 260-481-6306
Astronomy and astrophysics are the endeavor to understand the universe and to explain the origin of celestial objects and phenomena. It involves both planetary science (EAPS) and stellar science. The astrophysics track will require spectroscopy and instrumentation classes in addition to the astronomy core classes.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of this degree, students will:
- have skills that can lead to a career in astronomy, optics, data analysis or software; or for pursuing graduate education in physics, astronomy or engineering.
- This program is available on-campus
Declaring this Major:
General Education Requirements Credits: 33
- Click on the Purdue Fort Wayne General Education Requirements link above for details.
- Some majors may require particular General Education courses as specified in their program description. Up to six credits of approved General Education courses satisfying requirements in Areas A and B, and three credits satisfying requirements in Area C, may originate in the major. A grade of C- or higher in each course, and an overall GPA of 2.0 is required to satisfy the Purdue Fort Wayne General Education Requirements.
College of Arts and Sciences Requirements
- Click on the Purdue Fort Wayne College Requirements link above. Go to Requirements for the Bachelor of Science Degree.
English Writing and Speaking: Credits 6
- See Part A in Arts and Sciences Requirements for the Bachelor of Science Degree for Speaking requirement
International Language: Credits 6-8
- See Part B in Arts and Sciences Requirements for the Bachelor of Science Degree
Core Physics Major Courses: Credits 22
Core Supporting Courses: Credits 16
Additional Physics Major Courses: Credits 20
Additional Supporting Course: Credits 10
Concentration in Astronomy
Core Astronomy /Astrophysics Courses: Credits 18
Optional Astrophysics Track: Credits 11-12
- Sufficient additional credits to bring the total to 120
You are responsible for satisfying the graduation requirements specified for your selected program. Thus, it is essential that you develop a thorough understanding of the required courses, academic policies and procedures governing your academic career. All requests for exceptions to specific requirements must be made in writing and may be granted only by written approval from the appropriate chair or dean.