Oct 21, 2021
Department of Computer Science
College of Engineering, Technology, and Computer Science
Engineering, Technology, and Computer Science Building 125 ~ 260-481-6803
The Bachelor of Science in Information Systems emphasizes the design, development, and use of Information Systems for the management of information in the modern corporate and organizational environment. Additional focus is on the business knowledge courses as well as the use of technology, such as SAP, in business management software, solutions, and applications for business process. The Bachelor of Science in Information Systems prepares you for a career as a computer professional as well as for possible graduate study.
The Department of Computer Science offers the Bachelor of Science in Information Systems, an Associate of Science in Information Systems, a Bachelor of Science and a Bachelor of Arts in Computer Science. In addition to the degrees, the department offers a minor in Information Systems, a minor in Informatics, and a Certificate of Information Systems.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Analyze a complex computing problem and apply principles of computing and other relevant disciplines to identify solutions
- Design, implement, and evaluate a computing-based solution to meet a given set of computing requirements in the context of the program’s discipline
- Communicate effectively in a variety of professional contexts
- Recognize professional responsibilities and make informed judgments in computing practice based on legal and ethical principles
- Function effectively as a member or leader of a team engaged in activities appropriate to the program’s discipline
- Support the delivery, use, and management of information systems within an information systems environment.
Declaring This Major:
B.S. Requirements: Credits 60
The first 60 credit hours of the Information Systems B.S. are identical to the Information Systems A.S. requirements. Please see the Information Systems A.S. program for the following requirements: General Education Areas A & B, Core requirements, Supporting courses and 5 credits of approved electives.
General Education Category C Capstone: Credits 3
At least 3 credits and all outcomes in an approved course. CS 30600 (recommended).
Advanced Core Requirements: Credits 21
Advanced Supporting Courses: Credits 18
One of the following: Credits 3
One of the following approved Business or Economics: Credits 3
Two of the following approved Advanced Business Elective: Credits 6
Areas of Depth: Credits 15
- To satisfy the Area of Depth requirement, the student must select one of the following options.
Note: If a minor is selected, minor courses may overlap with other required courses. Students must take additional electives to reach 120 credit hours. Courses in the OL minor may not be offered online.
Area of Depth Approved Elective: Credits 3
- You must satisfy the Purdue Fort Wayne and the College of Engineering, Technology, and Computer Science Cumulative GPA requirement for graduation.
- Only computer science courses in which you have earned a grade of C or better can be applied to the degree or used to satisfy prerequisites.
- Only courses with a grade of C- or better count to satisfy the Purdue Fort Wayne general education requirements.
- A maximum of 10 credits with a grade of D will be accepted in non-CS courses.
- No credit toward graduation will be given for courses or sequences with overlapping content or for developmental courses.
Total Credits Required: 120
You are responsible for satisfying the graduation requirements specified for your selected program. Thus, it is essential that you develop a thorough understanding of the required courses, academic policies, and procedures governing your academic career. All requests for exceptions to specific requirements must be made in writing and may be granted only by written approval from the appropriate chair or dean.
Additional Course Use:
- IST 14000 required, CS 11400, ECET 11400, ITC 13000 accepted
- IST 16000 required, ITC 11000, BUS 32100 accepted
- IST 20300 required, CS 20300 accepted
- IST 26500 required, IST 36000 accepted
- IST 27000 required, ITC 35000 accepted
- IST 37000 required, IST 38000, ITC 38000 accepted
- IST 44000 required, CS 36800, ITC 37000 Accepted
- IST 46700 required, CS 46700 accepted
- MA 15300 or 15900 required, MA 15400, 16500, 16600, 22700 accepted
- MA 22900 required, MA 16500, 22700 accepted