Aug 16, 2022
We are excited that you are pursuing a secondary teaching degree. At PFW, we offer secondary teaching licenses in collaboration with several different content areas. We do this through a Dual Degree program. This means that each student earns a degree in the content area as well as a separate degree in Secondary Education. Even though it is a dual degree program, we accept all 60 credits from the Ivy Tech Community College or Vincennes University TSAP program and only require 60 credits at PFW to complete degrees in Mathematics and Secondary Education.
At the time you are admitted to PFW, you will declare your majors with the Department of Mathematics and the School of Education.
- Completion of the TSAP in Secondary Education - Mathematics A.S. degree is required for admission to the TSAP dual degree.
- No courses beyond the requirements for TSAP A.S. degree are required for admission to the B.S. in Mathematics program. For admission to professional education, a minimum 2.70 cumulative GPA (PFW) as well as a 2.70 cumulative GPA in your major course work with at least 50% completed in major is required.
- For graduation, a 3.00 cumulative GPA and 3.00 major GPA are required.
- All students in the B.S. with majors in Mathematics and Secondary Education are expected to meet the same student learning outcomes and program requirements. Additional program requirements exist for all students in the B.S. with a major in Mathematics and the B.S.Ed in Secondary Education. Please see program pages for additional details.
- You are responsible for satisfying the graduation requirements specified for each degree program. Thus, it is essential that you develop a thorough understanding of the required courses, academic policies and procedures governing your academic career. All requests for exceptions to specific requirements must be made in writing and may be granted only by written approval from the appropriate chairs or deans.
- List of Major courses and supporting courses required at PFW; total credits in program = 120.
TSAP in Mathematics Teaching 2-Year Plan :
Mathematics Core: Credits 27-28
- CS 11400 - Introduction to Visual Programming Cr. 3.
- MA 17500 - Introduction to Discrete Mathematics Cr. 3.
- MA 31400 - Introduction to Mathematical Modeling Cr. 3. (Gen Ed C8)
- MA 45300 - Elements of Algebra Cr. 3.
- MA 46000 - Geometry Cr. 3.
- MA 58000 - History of Mathematics Cr. 3.
- Science elective (3-4 credits) (see Mathematics program description page for a list of courses).
- Mathematics 6 elective credits (see Mathematics program description page for a list of courses)
Education Core: Credits 27
- EDU 30600 -Teaching Students with Special Needs in the Secondary Classroom Cr. 3.
- EDU 40500 -The Middle and Junior High School Cr. 3.
- EDU 30100 - Laboratory/Field Experience Cr. 0.
- EDU 40101 - Critical Reading in the Content Area Cr. 3.
- EDU 40100 - Laboratory/Field Experience Cr. 0.
- EDU 44800 - Methods of Teaching High School Mathematics Cr. 3.
- EDU 47500 - Adolescent Development and Classroom Management Cr. 3.
- EDU 48000 - Student Teaching in the Secondary School Cr. 12.
Electives: Credits 5-6
- Elective credits (5-6) to bring the PFW total to 60 credits and degree total to at least 120.