May 15, 2021
The Music Performance Certificate program will provide students who have already earned an undergraduate music degree, with additional training and experiences to deepen and enrich their music performance skills as both soloists and members of musical ensembles. It will also deepen and enrich their ability to communicate musical ideas through written and oral communication. Coursework will focus on applied study, ensembles, experience in pedagogy, theory and history and a culminating lecture recital capstone project. Weekly performance class, studio classes, master classes and co curricular experiences with musical organizations will greatly assist in developing student competency. International students pairing their musical training with intensive study in as ESL program will also prepare their English skills for the requirements of top graduate music programs.
Student learning outcomes for this program are:
- Demonstrate technical mastery of a primary instrument including tone production, expression, and articulation appropriate to the level of study.
- Analyze and interpret musical forms and structures as a means of supporting a developing career in music performance and studio teaching.
- Demonstrate knowledge of music literature, performance practices of various styles and time periods, and standard repertory for the student’s primary instrument.
- Develop proficiency in performing as a soloist, chamber musician, and ensemble member.
- Cultivate basic teaching skills and concepts for studio and group instruction specific to the student’s area of study and performance.
- Identify and develop skills necessary to managing a professional performance career.
Declaring this Certificate:
- Declare this certificate with the School of Music.
- Successful audition for applied music faculty members.
- Be formally admitted to Purdue University Fort Wayne.
- Due to the nature of instruction in the common language of music, the TOEFL score requirement for international students entering this program is 70. Some students may enroll in a summer ELS program under conditional admission at the end of which they can begin the certificate program in the fall semester. For English native speakers, admission will follow all university guidelines for admission to the programs.
- No transfer credit towards this certificate will be accepted.
- All coursework for the certificate must be completed within three years.
- A minimum GPA of 2.0 and no course below a C- for the certificate.
- Courses in this certificate program cannot be used to fulfill any other certificate but may be used in a future graduate degree in music where applicable.
- Students who pursue this certificate post-baccalaureate, must first be formally admitted to Purdue University Fort Wayne.
To earn the Music Performance Certificate, you must fulfill the following requirements in addition to those noted above:
Program Requirements: Credits 18
Performance Studies Cr. 8
Applied Primary Instrument or Voice Cr. 4
Performance Class 2 Semesters, Cr. 0
Professional Music Courses Cr. 6