Sep 26, 2021
Program: Early Childhood Education Certification Only
School of Education
Neff Hall 240 ~ 260-481-4146
The early childhood education certification only program is designed for candidates who hold a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college and desire to teach in preschool or elementary primary (P-3) school settings. Upon successful completion, candidates may apply for an Indiana teaching license. Candidates must demonstrate competencies in four content areas of Reading/English Language Arts, Mathematics, Science/Health/PE, and Social Studies/Fine Arts by passing content exams in each area prior to student teaching.
Note: C- OR BETTER IS REQUIRED FOR ALL COURSES USED TOWARD THIS PROGRAM
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion this program in Early ChildhoodCertification Only students will:
- Become more caring, humane and functional citizens in a global, multicultural, democratic society
- Improve the human condition by creating positive learning environments
- Become change agents by demonstrating reflective professional practice
- Solve client problems through clear, creative analyses
- Assess client performance, creating and executing effective teaching, counseling, and educational leadership by utilizing a variety of methodologies reflecting current related research
- Utilize interdisciplinary scholarship, demonstrating technology and critical literacies, and effectively communicating with all stakeholders.
Our education programs are accredited through CAEP (Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation). We are nationally recognized as a high-quality program through the National Association for the Education of Young Children. Because of these statuses, students who meet specified requirements are eligible for the early childhood education teaching license in the state of Indiana. Indiana holds reciprocal licensing agreements with other states.
This program is available on campus and online
Declaring This Program
You must declare this program with the School of Education
Pre-Professional Education: 15 Credits
Professional Education: 36 credits
Requirements for Admission to Professional Education
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college
- Take the licensure content exams for Early Childhood Education
- Completion of each course with a grade of C- or higher. Courses may be repeated one time to earn minimum grade
- Successfully complete all Pre-Professional Education courses and program signature assessments
- Minimum 3.0 overall GPA in pre-professional education courses
- Pass a Criminal History Check and all other checks/screens as required for each agency.
Total Credits: 51
- Pass licensure pedagogy exam
- Successfully complete all program Signature Assessments
- Provide evidence of CPR certification and suicide prevention training.
- 3.0 cum. GPA
- Apply for license.
You are responsible for ensuring that you satisfy all graduation requirements specified for each selected program. Thus, it is essential that you develop a thorough understanding of the required courses, academic policies, and procedures governing your academic career. If you cannot complete all program requirements by your stated graduation date but fail to remove those from your plan of study, the Registrar’s Office in consultation with your academic advisor will remove unmet pursuits from your plan of study. Changing curricular records during the graduation term of application may affect state or federal financial aid awards. All requests for exceptions to specific requirements must be made in writing and may be granted only by written approval from the appropriate chair or dean.