Sep 26, 2021  
2021-2022 Undergraduate Catalog 
2021-2022 Undergraduate Catalog

Folklore Minor

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Program Descriptions

Program: Minor
Department of English and Linguistics  
College of Liberal Arts

Liberal Arts Building 145 ~ 260-481-6841

The minor in folklore familiarizes you with the international body of folklore as well as the theories, techniques, and history of folkloristics. The folklore minor is particularly appropriate for degree programs in anthropology, education, English, history, sociology, and other humanities and social sciences. 

Declaring this Minor:

  • Declare this minor within the Department of English and Linguistics  or through your major department
  • This program is available to all Purdue University Fort Wayne students except those pursuing the teacher-certification concentration with a major in English.

Program Requirements:

  • The catalog term for the minor will match that of your major degree program
  • At least 6 credits must be earned as resident credit at the 2000+ level or above
  • You must earn a grade of C- or higher for all courses required in the minor
  • A minor is not awarded if requirements are not completed by the time your major degree is certified for graduation

To earn the minor in Folklore, you must fulfill the following requirements in addition to those noted above:

Core Requirements

Additional Courses: Credits 9

  • Choose three additional courses in folklore or in folklore-related courses in anthropology, classics, or other disciplines approved by the department
  • At least two of the courses must be above the 2000+ level

Total Credits: 15

Student Responsibility

You are responsible for ensuring that you satisfy all graduation requirements specified for each selected program.  Thus, it is essential that you develop a thorough understanding of the required courses, academic policies, and procedures governing your academic career.  If you cannot complete all program requirements by your stated graduation date but fail to remove those from your plan of study, the Registrar’s Office in consultation with your academic advisor will remove unmet pursuits from your plan of study. Changing curricular records during the graduation term of application may affect state or federal financial aid awards. All requests for exceptions to specific requirements must be made in writing and may be granted only by written approval from the appropriate chair or dean. 

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Program Descriptions