Sep 29, 2020
2019-2020 Undergraduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]
Physics B.S. with Concentration in Materials Science
Department of Physics
College of Arts and Sciences
Kettler Hall 126B ~ 260-481-6306
The concentration in Materials Science Physics is for students who want to learn about materials and how to perform analysis of materials.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of this degree, students will:
- have the skills to enter a career in materials science, materials analysis, or pursue graduate education in physics, engineering, or materials science.
- This program is available on-campus
Declaring this Major:
- Declare this major within the Department of Physics
- Physics 15200 must be repeated if a grade of C- or below is received
- A grade of C- or above in all supporting courses is required
- A maximum of one grade below C- is allowed except for in supporting courses
- A GPA of 2.00 or higher for all courses taken for the major
To earn the B.S. with a major in Physics and a concentration in Materials Science, you must fulfill the following requirements in addition to the General Requirements noted above:
General Education Requirements: Credits 33
- Click on the Purdue Fort Wayne General Education Requirements link above for details.
- Some majors may require particular General Education courses as specified in their program description. Up to six credits of approved General Education courses satisfying requirements in Areas A and B, and three credits satisfying requirements in Area C, may originate in the major. A grade of C- or higher in each course, and an overall GPA of 2.0 is required to satisfy the Purdue Fort Wayne General Education Requirements.
College of Arts and Sciences Requirements
- Click on the Purdue Fort Wayne College Requirements link above. Go to Requirements for the Bachelor of Science Degree.
English Writing and Speaking: Credits 6
- See Part A in Arts and Sciences Requirements for the Bachelor of Science Degree for Speaking requirement
International Language: Credits 8
- See Part B in Arts and Sciences Requirements for the Bachelor of Science Degree
Core (Major) Courses: Credits 43
Supporting Math and Chemistry Courses: Credits 20
Material Science Concentration
Required Courses: Credits 18-21
Additional Courses: Credits 4
Choose four credits from the following list:
- Sufficient additional credits to bring the total to 120
You are responsible for satisfying the graduation requirements specified for your selected program. Thus, it is essential that you develop a thorough understanding of the required courses, academic policies and procedures governing your academic career. All requests for exceptions to specific requirements must be made in writing and may be granted only by written approval from the appropriate chair or dean.