Nov 22, 2019
Program: Early Childhood Education Certification Only
School of Education
College of Professional Studies
Neff Hall 250 ~ 260-481-4146
The early childhood education certification only program is designed for candidates who hold a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college and desire to teach in preschool or elementary primary (P-3) school settings. Upon successful completion, candidates may apply for an Indiana teaching license. Candidates must demonstrate competencies in four content areas of Reading/English Language Arts, Mathematics, Science/Health/PE, and Social Studies/Fine Arts by passing content exams in each area prior to student teaching.
Note: C- OR BETTER IS REQUIRED FOR ALL COURSES USED TOWARD THIS PROGRAM
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion this program in Early ChildhoodCertification Only students will:
- Become more caring, humane and functional citizens in a global, multicultural, democratic society
- Improve the human condition by creating positive learning environments
- Become change agents by demonstrating reflective professional practice
- Solve client problems through clear, creative analyses
- Assess client performance, creating and executing effective teaching, counseling, and educational leadership by utilizing a variety of methodologies reflecting current related research
- Utilize interdisciplinary scholarship, demonstrating technology and critical literacies, and effectively communicating with all stakeholders.
Our education programs are currently NCATE accredited and we have applied for continued accreditation through CAEP (Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation). We are nationally recognized as a high-quality program through the National Association for the Education of Young Children. Because of these statuses, students who meet specified requirements are eligible for the early childhood education teaching license in the state of Indiana. Indiana holds reciprocal licensing agreements with other states.
This program is available on campus
Declaring This Program
You must declare this program with the School of Education
Pre-Professional Education: 15 Credits
Professional Education: 36 credits
Requirements for Admission to Block 1
1. Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college
2. Pass the Pearson CASA (Core Academic Skills Assessment) or one of the following alternative measures:
CASA = Reading (220) Writing (220) Math (220)
- ACT Composite score of 24 based on math, reading, grammar, and science
- SAT Combined score of at least 1100 on critical reading and math if taken prior to 3/1/16 or 1170 composite beginning 3/1/16
- GRE Combined score of at least 301 (after 8/1/11) or 1100 (prior to 8/1/11) on quantitative and verbal
- Master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution
- PPST (taken prior to 9-1-2013) ______Reading (176) ______Writing (172) ______Math (175) ______Composite (527)
3. Take the Pearson content exams for Early Childhood Education
4. Completion of each course with grade of C- or higher. Courses may be repeated one time to earn minimum grade
5. Successfully complete all Pre-professional Education courses and program Signature Assessments
6. Minimum 3.0 cum. GPA in pre-professional education courses
7. Pass a Criminal History Check and all other checks/screens as required for each agency.
Student Teaching: 9 Credits
Requirements for Admission to Student Teaching
- Complete an application for student teaching one year before intended student teaching semester.
- Schedule an appointment and meet with the Director of Student Teaching one year before student teaching semester
- Pass all required Pearson CORE exams for early childhood education generalist.
- Maintain 3.0 cum. GPA with no grade below a C- in any required course.
Total Credits: 51
- Pass Pearson pedagogy exam
- Successfully complete all program Signature Assessments
- Provide evidence of CPR certification and suicide prevention training.
- 3.0 cum. GPA
- Apply for license.