Nov 21, 2019
Liberal Arts Building 267 ~ 260-481-6836
For details on pursuing a secondary education second degree (BSEd) to teach Spanish in middle school/high school, click on the links to the Secondary Education - Second Degree Program and the School of Education page in this catalog. Note: The BSEd as a second degree in these programs cannot be earned without completion of the bachelor’s degree in the content area from the College of Arts and Sciences.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of this degree, students will have:
- acquired a broad foundation in language, literature, and culture in preparation for graduate studies or for a career where proficiency in a foreign language and international perspectives are important assets
- achieved the ACTFL intermediate-high level in speaking and demonstrated the ability to recognize and analyze grammatical and usage errors in own and others’ writing
- developed an increased understanding of what it means to belong to a culture and awareness of how culture affects other interconnected issues of identity
- demonstrated the ability to think critically about these issues and how they shape intercultural communication
- This program is available on-campus
Declaring this Major:
- A grade of C- or higher in all department courses required for the major and an overall GPA of 2.00 or higher in all courses required for the major.
To earn the B.A. with a major in Spanish, you must fulfill the following requirements in addition to the General Requirements noted above.
PFW General Education Requirements: Credits 33
- Click on the Purdue Fort Wayne General Education Requirements link above for details.
- Some majors may require particular General Education courses as specified in their program description. Up to six credits of approved General Education courses satisfying requirements in Areas A and B, and three credits satisfying requirements in Area C, may originate in the major. A grade of C- or higher in each course, and an overall GPA of 2.0 is required to satisfy the Purdue Fort Wayne General Education Requirements.
College of Arts and Sciences Requirements
- Click on the Purdue Fort Wayne College Requirements link above for details. Go to Requirements for the Bachelor of Arts Degree.
English Writing and Speaking: Credits 6
- See Part A in Arts and Sciences Requirements for the Bachelor of Arts Degree for Speaking requirement
International Language: Credits 10-14
Distribution: Credits 9
- See Part C in Arts and Sciences Requirements for the Bachelor of Arts Degree
- Choose courses other than SPAN
Cultural Studies: Credits 6
Core and Concentration (Major) Courses: Credits 15
Spanish Linguistics: Credits 3
One course in Spanish linguistics at the 400xx level
Peninsular Literature: Credits 3
One course in Peninsular literature at the 400xx level
Spanish-American Literature: Credits 3
One course in Spanish-American literature at the 400xx level
Spanish Culture: Credits 3
One course in Spanish, Spanish-American, or Hispanic Culture at the 400xx level
Additional Required Courses: Credits 6
Choose an additional six credits at the 400xx level from the following categories:
- Spanish, Spanish-American, or Latino culture
- Spanish language
- Peninsular or Spanish-American literature
- Sufficient additional credits to bring the total to 120
You are responsible for satisfying the graduation requirements specified for your selected program. Thus, it is essential that you develop a thorough understanding of the required courses, academic policies, and procedures governing your academic career. All requests for exceptions to specific requirements must be made in writing and may be granted only by written approval from the appropriate chair or dean.