Program: Secondary Education Certification Only
School of Education
Neff Hall 240 ~ 260-481-4146
The secondary education certification-only program is a 36-credit hour program designed for teacher candidates who hold a bachelor’s degree and desire to teach in middle or high school settings. Upon successful completion of this program, teacher candidates may apply for an Indiana teaching license. Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college to enroll in this program. Candidates must select one of the following content areas to complete their certification. Candidates must demonstrate their competencies in that content area by passing a licensing content exam(s) prior to student teaching.
Length of Program:
This is a part-time program. Since students enrolled in this program follow the same sequence of courses that degree-seeking students follow, the standard length of time it takes to complete all 36 credits is 5 semesters, although there is an option of completing it in 4 semesters if desired.
Please contact the School of Education if you wish to learn how to complete the program in 4 semesters.
Note: C- OR BETTER IS REQUIRED FOR ALL COURSES USED TOWARD THIS PROGRAM
Middle School (grades 5-9). Select at least one:
- Language Arts
- Social Studies
Middle and High School (grades 5-12). Select at least one:
- Biology/Life Science
- Earth and Space Science
- English/Language Arts
- Social Studies: Select at least one of these content areas:
- Government & Citizenship
- Historical Perspectives
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of the Secondary Education Certification Only program students will:
- Become more caring, humane and functional citizens in a global, multicultural, democratic society
- Improve the human condition by creating positive learning environments
- Become change agents by demonstrating reflective professional practice
- Solve client problems through clear, creative analysis
- Assess client performance, creating and executing effective teaching, counseling, and educational leadership by utilizing a variety of methodologies reflecting current related research
- Utilize interdisciplinary scholarship, demonstrating technology and critical literacies, and effectively communicating with all stakeholders.
Our education programs are currently accredited through CAEP (Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation). In addition all science programs are nationally recognized as high-quality programs through the National Science Teachers Association (NSTA). Because of these statuses, students who meet specified requirements are eligible for a teaching license in the state of Indiana. Indiana holds reciprocal licensing agreements with other states.
- This program is available on campus
Declaring/Adding This Program:
- You must declare/add this program with the School of Education