Mar 01, 2024
School of Music
College of Visual and Performing Arts
Rhinehart Music Center 144 ~ 260-481-6714
A minor in jazz music is designed for students who wish to explore the field of jazz music while majoring in another area. The student may customize the curriculum to realize their own musical and creative potential. To earn this minor, you must complete the courses listed below and earn a grade of C- or better in each.
The student learning outcomes for the jazz minor music are as follows relative to areas of chosen study:
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of jazz music theory sufficient to analyze musical forms, structures, and styles; to create within basic musical structures; and to relate theoretical concepts to sound.
- Students will demonstrate performance ability as jazz ensemble members, as conductors, and as soloists on both a primary instrument and/or a secondary instrument in this idiom.
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of the history and literature of jazz music, with an understanding of the social, political and cultural impacts which shaped its development.
- Students will demonstrate proficiency in utilizing appropriate technology to notate and create music, to investigate and report scholarly research, and to support the specific demands of their area of focused study.
Our minor in jazz music allows you to explore the field of Jazz music while majoring in another area. The program allows you to customize your curriculum to realize your musical and creative potential and explore this truly American art form with classes in improvisation, pedagogy, jazz history and of course, applied jazz lessons and ensembles like big band and jazz combo.
A student may elect the Pass/Not-Pass grading option for non-degree elective courses only. The Pass/Not-Pass grading option is not available for General Education or any electives required for the minor.
- This program is available on campus though some courses may be available as distance learning.
Declaring this Minor:
- Students wishing to declare this minor will pass a basic playing audition with the director of jazz studies. For more information contact the Music Department Office.
Required Courses: Credits 10
Electives: Credits 2
Choose 2 credit hours from the electives below:
Total: Credits 12 minimum
You are responsible for ensuring that you satisfy all graduation requirements specified for each selected program. Thus, it is essential that you develop a thorough understanding of the required courses, academic policies, and procedures governing your academic career. If you cannot complete all program requirements by your stated graduation date but fail to remove those from your plan of study, the Registrar’s Office in consultation with your academic advisor will remove unmet pursuits from your plan of study. Changing curricular records during the graduation term of application may affect state or federal financial aid awards. All requests for exceptions to specific requirements must be made in writing and may be granted only by written approval from the appropriate chair or dean.