Liberal Arts Building 145 ~ 260-481-6841
Program Coordinator: Shannon Bischoff
The undergraduate certificate in Teaching English as a New Language (TENL) prepares students for Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) in a variety of learning venues world-wide. It is intended primarily for students who, while they work towards a baccalaureate degree, wish to develop credentials for teaching English as a new or additional language. Other potential audiences include individuals who wish to obtain professional training in teaching English to speakers of other languages for career opportunities overseas. The TENL certificate will require satisfactory completion of eighteen credit hours of course work in the areas of TESOL pedagogy and materials preparation, second language acquisition theories, sociolinguistics and cultural issues, English grammar, and practical classroom experiences.
Our TENL program matches most other similar academic programs nationwide. The required courses will familiarize students with major theoretical perspectives, pedagogies, and resources for English language teaching. The capstone course, TENL Practicum, provides students with real-world experience through teaching English language learners in classroom settings.
The undergraduate TENL certificate will be available to any student who has completed the program requirements successfully. It can stand alone as a separate credential or be integrated within the requirements of the B.A. program in English as an option in the English Language Concentration. Some courses may also apply to a degree from the College of Education and Public Policy. The certificate can be earned and awarded independent of other degree(s).
- An add-on license in the content area of “Teachers of English Learners” license is available to TENL certificate students who are licensed teachers, candidates who are already licensed in specific content area(s) at specific grade levels, or prospective teachers who are in the process of obtaining such a license. Please see the special requirements below.
- An option to earn an Accelerated TENL Certificate is available. Please contact the Department of English and Linguistics for details.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of this certificate, students will:
- be prepared to teach English to speakers of other languages in a variety of learning venues world-wide.
- The Teaching English as a New Language Certificate program is accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) and nationally recognized as a high-quality program through the Teaching of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) organization. Because of these statuses, students who meet specified requirements are eligible for the Teachers of English Learners license in the state of Indiana. Indiana holds reciprocal licensing agreements with other states.
Declaring this Certificate:
- Students must meet with the TENL Program Director for advising when admitted to this program
- A minimum GPA of 2.00 or higher is required for graduation
- A grade of C or higher in each course required for the certificate
- Satisfactory completion of LING 10300 or equivalent is a prerequisite for all courses at the 3000+ level and higher
- At least 9 credits must be earned as resident credit
To earn the Certificate in Teaching English as a New Language, you must fulfill the following requirements in addition to those noted above: