Jul 04, 2020
Department of Biology
College of Arts and Sciences
Science Building 330 ~ 260-481-6305
This concentration within the Biology B.S. serves students with an interest in microbiology and immunology. It provides preparation for those students who plan to further their education in a professional program, such as medical school or medical technology, as well as those pursuing a graduate program in basic or applied research. Furthermore, the program equips students with wet lab knowledge and experiences that are fundamental to many jobs in industry and public health.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of this degree, students will:
- demonstrate comprehension of basic biological principles and theories, and an ability to apply those theories and principles to problem solving
- demonstrate knowledge of the scientific method, and be able to apply that knowledge to problem solving
- demonstrate the ability to critically evaluate biological information
- demonstrate the basic knowledge and experience of field and laboratory work, and be able to communicate the results of an investigation
- This program is available on-campus
Declaring this Major:
- A GPA of 2.00 or higher for all major department courses taken
- A GPA of 2.30 or higher in biology core and biology elective/concentration courses
- A GPA of 2.30 or higher in BIOL 11700, 11900, 21700, 21800, 21900, and 49100
- A maximum of 6 credits in BIOL 29500 or 59500
- All biology courses applied toward graduation must be completed within 10 years from the time the first biology course was completed
To earn a B.S. with a major in Biology and the concentration in Microbiology and Immunology, you must fulfill the following requirements in addition to the General Requirements noted above:
General Education Requirements: Credits 33
- Click on the Purdue Fort Wayne General Education Requirements link above for details.
- A grade of C- or better is required in each course used to satisfy the Purdue Fort Wayne General Education Requirements.
College of Arts and Sciences Requirements
- Click on the Purdue Fort Wayne College Requirements link above. Go to Arts and Sciences Requirements for the Bachelor of Science Degree
English Writing and Speaking: Credits 6
- See Part A in Arts and Sciences Requirements for the Bachelor of Science Degree for Speaking requirement
International Language: Credits 8
- See Part B in Arts and Sciences Requirements for the Bachelor of Science Degree
Core (Major) Courses: Credits 23
Calculus and Statistics: Credits 9
The following calculus and statistics course pattern is typical. Course substitutions are possible with advisor approval. Please note that most graduate programs require a full year of calculus.
Chemistry: Credits 16
(CHM 53300 is also required and listed in Required Courses in the Concentration below)
One of the following sequences: Credits 8
Required Courses in the Concentration: Credits 11
Elective Courses in the Concentration: Credits 8
Choose eight credits from the following list:
- Sufficient additional credits to bring the total to 120.
Honors in Biology
You may earn an honors degree in biology by achieving an overall GPA of 3.00 or higher and a biology GPA of 3.50 or higher, conducting a two-semester (minimum of 5 credits) research project, preparing a senior thesis based on the research project, and giving an oral presentation of the thesis research. The senior thesis committee must be established one semester before graduation.
All Biology courses applied toward graduation must be completed within ten (10 years from the time the first Biology course was completed.
You are responsible for satisfying the graduation requirements specified for your selected program. Thus, it is essential that you develop a thorough understanding of the required courses, academic policies and procedures governing your academic career. All requests for exceptions to specific requirements must be made in writing and may be granted only by written approval from the appropriate chair or dean.