Jun 21, 2021
Department of Communication
College of Arts and Sciences
Neff Hall 230 ~ 260-481-6825 ~ ipfw.edu/comm/
The student learning outcomes for the degree are as follows:
- Articulate the historical traditions of the discipline.
- Demonstrate an awareness and skillful use of the use of new technologies relevant to their major.
- Explain communication concepts and theories relevant to the major.
- Explain, evaluate and apply the processes involved in productive conflict in the contexts (interpersonal, small group, organizational, mediated, public) relevant to their major.
- Demonstrate awareness of diverse perspectives.
- Read, speak, write and listen competently.
- Demonstrate the ability to be a critically engaged citizen.
To earn the B.A. with a major in communication, you must fulfill the requirements of IPFW (see Part 8 ), the College of Arts and Sciences (see Part 4 ), and the Department of Communication as listed below. You also must earn a minor in an appropriate discipline. Two courses in a major offered in the Department of Communication can also be counted in the required minor, except that students in the Multimedia Newsgathering and Reporting concentration and the Media Production minor may count three courses in their major toward this minor. If the minor is selected from an Arts and Sciences department, the courses may be used to satisfy distribution requirements in the College of Arts and Sciences.
College of Arts and Sciences Requirements
English Writing and Speaking
- See Arts and Sciences Part A for Speaking requirement
- Requirements in Arts and Sciences Part B Credits: 14
Distribution (not in COM)
- Requirements in Arts and Sciences Part C Credits: 9
- Requirements in Arts and Sciences Part D Credits: 6
Core and Concentration Courses
A grade of C- is required for all courses in the major
Communication Core: Credits: 15
Choose one area of concentration: Credits 21
Total Credit Hours for Major: 36 - 39
Minor and Elective Courses
- Credits in approved minor (with grades of C- or higher) Credits: 12-21
- Sufficient additional credits to bring the total to 120.