Jul 02, 2022
Department of International Language and Culture Studies
College of Arts and Sciences
Liberal Arts Building 267 ~ 260-481-6836 ~ ipfw.edu/ilcs/
The student learning outcomes for the degree are as follows:
- Acquire a broad foundation in language, literature, and culture in preparation for graduate studies or for a career where proficiency in a foreign language and international perspectives are important assets;
- Achieve the ACTFL intermediate-high level in speaking, demonstrate the ability to recognize and analyze grammatical and usage errors in own and others’ writing;
- Develop an increased understanding of what it means to belong to a culture and awareness of how culture affects other interconnected issues of identity;
- Demonstrate the ability to think critically about these issues and how they shape intercultural communication.
To earn the B.A. with a major in German, you must fulfill the requirements of IPFW (see Part 8 ) and the College of Arts and Sciences (see Part 4 ), and satisfactorily complete the requirements of the major, given below:
College of Arts and Sciences Requirements
English Writing and Speaking
- Requirements in Arts and Sciences Part A
(The writing requirement is satisfied by ILCS I300, listed below)
Foreign Language Credits: 14
Distribution (not in GER) Credits: 9
- Requirements in Arts and Sciences Part C Credits: 9
Cultural Studies Credits: 6
- Requirements in Arts and Sciences Part D Credits: 6
Core and Concentration (Major) Courses
Students must complete 30 credit hours of German course credit (GER) at the 300 and 400 level, including at least 24 credit hours in courses taught in German.
Credits in German Culture Credits: 3
Additional Credits in German 300-Level Credits: 12
Including at least two literature courses.
Additional Credits in German Language Skills at the 300-Level Credits: 3
Credits in 400-Level German Courses Credits: 9
Language, literature, and/or culture.
General Elective Courses
- Sufficient additional credits to bring the total to 120.