Communication Sciences and Disorders
College of Arts and Sciences
Neff Hall 279 ~ 260-481-6410 ~ ipfw.edu/csd
The student learning outcomes for the degree are as follows:
- Students will acquire basic knowledge of the normal nature and development of speech.
- Students will acquire basic knowledge of language and hearing.
- Students will acquire basic knowledge of assessment, treatment and prevention of speech, language and hearing disorders.
- Students will demonstrate basic clinical skills of assessment.
- Students will demonstrate basic skill in the design and implementation of appropriate treatment plans.
- Students will acquire oral and written communication abilities and interpersonal skills needed for the assessment and treatment of speech, language and hearing disorders.
This preprofessional degree helps you prepare to pursue the master’s degree in speech-language pathology or the Au.D. degree in audiology and the following professional credentials: the Indiana Schools Standard Services-Specialist License, the license from the Indiana Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology Board, and the Certificate of Clinical Competence from the American Speech- Language-Hearing Association.With full academic preparation, including a master’s degree in speech-language pathology or an Au.D. in audiology, you may begin human-service careers working with children, adults, and/or older persons who have speech, language, or hearing disorders. You will offer professional assistance to enhance our most distinctive human ability — communication.
The curriculum offers courses and practical experiences that prepare you to work with communicatively disabled individuals in such settings as schools, hospitals, agencies, rehabilitation centers, clinics, and private practices. Beginning practicum courses prepare the student to work with clients. These practicum courses offer services through the speech-language clinic to the campus and surrounding community.
To earn the B.S. with a major in communication sciences and disorders, you must fulfill the requirements of IPFW (see Part 8 ) and the College of Arts and Sciences (see Part 4 ) in addition to the following requirements: