Jul 31, 2021  
Undergraduate Bulletin 2006-2008 
Undergraduate Bulletin 2006-2008 [Archived Catalog]


Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Departments

Department of Music
School of Visual and Performing Arts

Classroom-Medical Building G23 ~ 260-481-6714 ~ www.ipfw.edu/vpa

Music and an Outside Field, Music Education, Music Performance

The Department of Music provides degree programs leading to careers in music, functions as a service department to the university, and serves as a musical center and resource for Greater Fort Wayne and northeast Indiana. The department offers programs leading to the following degrees: Bachelor of Music in performance, Bachelor of Music Education, Bachelor of Science in Music and an Outside Field, and Bachelor of Science in Music Therapy. A minor in music and a certificate in piano pedagogy are also available.


Programs offered by the department are accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music, American Music Therapy Association, and the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.


One must satisfy the admission requirements of IPFW (see Part 7) and successfully complete an audition and entrance placement exams wherein appropriate faculty committees evaluate a student’s musical knowledge, skill, and potential. Students who do not meet all music-department entrance requirements may be admitted to the department as pre-music students. (See Department of Music Student Handbook for further information.)


To complete a degree in music, one must satisfy the university’s general education requirements, Department of Music core requirements, and requirements specific to the degree program.

Special Academic Regulations for Students Majoring in Music

Department Handbook

Detailed information regarding policies and practices of the department is included in the Department of Music Student Handbook, available in the department office. Information included below is detailed in the handbook. All music majors are expected to be familiar with the contents of the handbook.

Academic Probation

As a music major, you must earn: 1) a semester GPA of 2.00 and a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher; 2) a semester GPA of 2.5 or higher for all music courses required for your degree program; 3) a C or better in a music course or ensemble required for your degree, with the exception of X095 Performance Class. Should you fail to meet these standards, you will be placed on departmental probation.

Students on probation may lose eligibility for scholarships and financial aid, as well as risk dismissal from the program. See the department’s student handbook for further information on academic probation.


You will be dismissed from the department when (1) you have been placed on departmental probation due to gradepoint deficiency and do not correct the deficiency in the next semester of enrollment; (2) you have been placed on departmental probation for failure to earn a C or better in a music course required for your degree (with the exception of X095 Performance Class) and do not earn a C or better in your second attempt in the same course; (3) you fail to earn a C or better in two consecutive semesters of the same ensemble.


If you are dismissed, you may petition for readmission to the Department of Music one semester from the date of your dismissal. Students returning from dismissal will automatically be on probation. Failure to maintain a 2.5 GPA for the first semester of re-entry or to make a C or better in a required music course will result in permanent dismissal from the department.

Keyboard Proficiency

All music majors must pass a keyboard proficiency examination. Entering students who are prepared to take the examination may do so before registration; all others must register in piano courses until this requirement is satisfied. The examination tests ability to use the piano as a professional tool. The test is given in portions at the three exam periods each semester and may be taken at other times by special arrangement with the coordinator of the area.

Transfer Credits

Audition and placement exams will be required. You may be accepted by the department with upper-divisional standing.

Upper-Division Standing

During the semester in which you are enrolled in or have successfully completed MUS T214, 216, M202, and the fourth semester of applied music at the 300 or 400 level on the same instrument, you are eligible and will be expected to take the Upper Division Performance Examination (MUS X296), an applied music performance for the applied music instructor and the resident music faculty. Upon the recommendation of the applied instructor and advisor, the performance examination may be postponed beyond four semesters of study on the primary instrument, but you must achieve eligibility and take the examination by the end of the sixth semester of study. No extensions will be given beyond the sixth semester except in the case of extreme extenuating circumstances and will require the recommendation of the applied instructor and the advisor and approval by the chair of the department. Failure to achieve eligibility does not constitute extenuating circumstances. For complete procedures, see the Department of Music Student Handbook.

Music education majors must complete the Music Education Upper Divisional Examination (MUS X297). Music therapy majors must complete the Music Therapy Skills Examination MUS X298. See the course descriptions for content and prerequisites for these examinations.

Performance Studies for Students Majoring in Music

Primary Performance

Area Performance study (applied music) is required of all music majors and is available for the study of voice, keyboard, winds, strings, and percussion. Students are assigned to applied-music teachers on the basis of instructor availability and suitability. An audition and departmental permission are required. Both a junior and a senior recital are required for the B.Mus. All other degrees require a concentration recital, the required number of semesters of study varying with the degree. To be eligible to perform a recital, you must be enrolled in an applied music course. A successful prerecital hearing is required. For a complete list of guidelines, refer to the Department of Music Student Handbook.

Secondary Performance Area

All students must pass the Keyboard Proficiency Examination (X299). Students for whom keyboard is not the primary applied area must enroll in Class Piano (P111, 121, 131, 141) until the examination is completed. If students complete the examination in fewer than four semesters, they will normally complete the credits with further applied study at the 200 level in piano. Study of another instrument or voice is possible, but contingent upon the consent of the degree advisor and the appropriate applied instructor. An audition is required to enter 200-level study. Students whose primary instrument is keyboard will take one semester of Keyboard Skills (P211) and three semesters of 200-level applied study of another instrument or voice. The choice of instrument requires the consent of the degree advisor. An audition is required to enter 200-level study.

Performance Class X095

This 0-credit course is a weekly meeting of music majors and minors and serves as a laboratory for performance. Part of the course requirement is attendance at specified public concerts and recitals. Refer to the listing of courses for your degree program for specific information regarding your required minimum number of semesters.

Music minors should refer to the course description for X095-02 to find their specific requirements.

Ensemble Requirements

Music majors are required to enroll in a major ensemble each semester of enrollment in the applied primary. Refer to the listing of courses for your degree program for specific information regarding your required minimum number of ensemble credits. Piano performance majors (Bachelor of Music) may substitute X002 (Accompanying) for two semesters toward this requirement.

Correspondence Study

Limited credit toward your degree may be earned by correspondence study. See your advisor for additional information.

Restriction on Use of University Facilities

University facilities are not to be used for any private enterprises such as teaching.

Time Limit

At the time you are awarded your music degree, it is intended that you be current in the knowledge and skills you have attained. Accordingly, if you do not complete the requirements within seven years of matriculation, you may be required to (1) demonstrate your eligibility to continue in your degree program by passing comprehensive examinations in all music subjects previously completed, and (2) meet the degree requirements specified in the current Bulletin. Time spent fulfilling a military-service obligation will not be counted toward this seven-year limit. 

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Departments