Dec 11, 2019
Kettler Hall ~ 260-481-6821
Programs leading to the Bachelor of Science in Actuarial Science help you prepare for employment in business and industry, or study for advanced degrees.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of this degree, students will:
- have sufficient preparation in calculus, linear algebra, probability, statistics, financial mathematics, and financial economics to pass the preliminary Actuarial Science examinations (P, FM, MFE)
- obtain VEE credit from the Society of Actuaries in Economic, Finance, and Applied Statistics
- This program is available on-campus
Declaring this Major:
- A GPA of 2.00 or higher for all major department courses taken with at most one passing grade less than 1.50 in courses used to fulfill the major requirements
- Of the mathematics courses numbered below 26100, only 16500, 16600, and 17500 apply toward a mathematics degree
- Statistics courses must be numbered 49000 or higher to count
To earn a Bachelor’s Degree in Actuarial Science, you must fulfill the following requirements in addition to the General Requirements noted above:
General Education Requirements: Credits 33
- Click on the Purdue Fort Wayne General Education Requirements link above for details.
- A grade of C- or higher is required in each course to satisfy the Purdue Fort Wayne General Education Requirements
College of Arts and Sciences Requirements
- Click on the Purdue Fort Wayne College Requirements link above. Go to Arts and Sciences Requirements for the Bachelor of Science Degree
English Writing and Speaking: Credits 6
- See Part A in Arts and Sciences Requirements for the Bachelor of Science Degree for Speaking Requirement
International Language: Credits 8
- See Part B in Arts and Sciences Requirements for the Bachelor of Science Degree
Core and Concentration (Major) Courses
Basic Mathematics Core: Credits 18
Actuarial Exams: Credits: 13 (15 recommended)
- Take both STAT courses; a grade of C- or higher is required in each course.
Validation by Educational Experience (VEE): Credits: 15
A grade of B- or higher in the following STAT, ECON, and BUS courses is required to receive VEE credit from the Society of Actuaries:
Applied Statistical Methods: Credits 6
Corporate Finance: Credits 3
Choose one of the following:
Additional Required Courses: Credits 12
Science Courses: Credits 11
Choose three science courses from the list below; two of the courses chosen must include a lab. Check with the Department of Mathematical Sciences for updates to this list.
Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences:
- Sufficient additional credits to bring the total to 120.
You are responsible for satisfying the graduation requirements specified for your selected program. Thus, it is essential that you develop a thorough understanding of the required courses, academic policies, and procedures governing your academic career. All requests for exceptions to specific requirements must be made in writing and may be granted only by written approval from the appropriate chair or dean.