Nov 18, 2018
School of Music
College of Visual and Performing Arts
Rhinehart Music Center 144 ~ 260-481-6714
A minor in jazz music is designed for students who wish to explore the field of jazz music while majoring in another area. The student may customize the curriculum to realize their own musical and creative potential. To earn this minor, you must complete the courses listed below and earn a grade of C- or better in each.
The student learning outcomes for the jazz minor music are as follows relative to areas of chosen study:
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of jazzf music theory sufficient to analyze musical forms, structures, and styles; to create within basic musical structures; and to relate theoretical concepts to sound.
- Students will demonstrate performance ability as jazz ensemble members, as conductors, and as soloists on both a primary instrument and/or a secondary instrument in this idiom.
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of the history and literature of jazz music, with an understanding of the social, political and cultural impacts which shaped its development.
- Students will demonstrate proficiency in utilizing appropriate technology to notate and create music, to investigate and report scholarly research, and to support the specific demands of their area of focused study.
- This program is available on campus though some courses may be available as distance learning.
Declaring this Minor:
- Students wishing to declare this minor will pass a basic playing audition with the director of jazz studies. For more information contact the Music Department Office.
Select 15-18 hours from the courses below:
Choose 3-6 hours from the electives below. These courses will be taught under the variable title course number MUS 41900.
- Jazz Improvisation II Credits: 2
- Styles and Analysis of Jazz Credits: 2
- Jazz/Commercial Combo Credits 1 (2 credits maximum)
- Jazz Applied Lessons Credits: 1 (2 credits maximum)
- Fundamentals in Jazz Theory Credits: 1
- Jazz Chamber Ensemble Credits: 1
- Research in Jazz Credits: 3
Total: Credits 18 minimum
You are responsible for satisfying the graduation requirements specified for your selected program. Thus, it is essential that you develop a thorough understanding of the required courses, academic policies and procedures governing your academic career. All requests for exceptions to specific requirements must be made in writing and may be granted only by written approval from the appropriate chair or dean.