Engineering, Technology and Computer Science Bldg. Rm. 321 ~ 260-481-6965
The Department of Civil and Mechanical Engineering (CME) offers a five-year program through which students can obtain a Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering (BSME) as well as a Master of Science in Engineering (MSE) degree with the area of specialization in Mechanical Engineering.
The BSME and MSE degrees offered through this program are identical to the individual BSME and MSE degrees offered by the CME department. The combined five-year degree program provides students with the opportunity to obtain these degrees in less time than would be required when pursuing them independently.
Students accepted into this combined BSME/MSE program can use 9 credits of graduate 500-level or higher courses in the combined BSME/MSE plan of study. These courses must satisfy both degree requirements and appropriate advising is needed. This reduces the total number of required credits by the MSE degree to 21.
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Students in the 5 Year BSME/MSE Combined Degree program will be held accountable for the Student Learning outcomes associated with the undergraduate degree program.
- The undergraduate program are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, www.abet.org.
- For this combined program, most of the undergraduate courses are delivered primarily as on-campus courses; however, some of the General Education courses are available as hybrid and/or on-line courses and those can be used to satisfy program requirements. When it comes to the graduate level courses, there are several opportunities to take courses on-line from the West Lafayette campus of Purdue University, but students need to check with their advisor before registering for any such course.
Declaring this Major:
Admission to the combined five-year BSME/MSE program may be granted under the following conditions:
- Students must be enrolled in the BSME program at Purdue University Fort Wayne and have not yet received an undergraduate BSME degree
- Students must have finished at least sixty (60) credit hours in the respective BSME curriculum
- Students must have achieved an undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0 or equivalent at the time of application
- Student must have completed the mathematics sequence of courses equivalent to:
- MA 16500 (Calculus I)
- MA 16600 (Calculus II)
- MA 26100 (Multivariable Calculus)
- MA 35100 (Linear Algebra)
- MA 36300 (Differential Equations)
5. Student must have complete the physics sequence of courses equivalent to:
- PHYS 15200 ( Mechanics)
- PHYS 25100 (Heat, Electricity and Optics)
6. Acceptance into the program is conditional upon admission to the Purdue Fort Wayne Graduate program
7. No Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score is required
Students that meet the admission criteria and wish to enroll in the combined BSME/MSE program should consult with their academic advisor during the second semester of their junior year or earlier, and
- Complete and submit the Five Year BSME/MSE Program Application (http://pfw.edu/departments/etcs/depts/cme/5-year-program/Five%20Year%20BSME-MSE%20Application.pdf)
- Complete and submit Form GS-27 (http://pfw.edu/departments/etcs/depts/cme/5-year-program/gs-form-27.pdf)
- Complete the regular application to graduate school of Purdue University (https://www.purdue.edu/gradschool/)