Dec 11, 2019
Liberal Arts Building 267 ~ 260-481-6836
For details on pursuing a second degree in secondary education to teach Spanish, in middle school/high school, see the School of Education Secondary Education section in this catalog.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of this degree, students will have:
- acquired a broad foundation in language, literature, and culture in preparation for graduate studies or for a career where proficiency in a foreign language and international perspectives are important assets
- achieved the ACTFL intermediate-high level in speaking and demonstrated the ability to recognize and analyze grammatical and usage errors in own and others’ writing
- developed an increased understanding of what it means to belong to a culture and awareness of how culture affects other interconnected issues of identity
- demonstrated the ability to think critically about these issues and how they shape intercultural communication
- This program is available on-campus
Declaring this Major:
- A grade of C- or higher for all courses required in the major and a GPA of 2.00 or higher for all major department courses taken.
To earn the B.A. with a major in Spanish, you must fulfill the following requirements in addition to the General Requirements noted above.
PFW General Education Requirements: Credits 33
- Click on the PFW General Education Requirements link above for details
- A grade of C- or higher is required in each course used to satisfy the PFW General Education Requirements
College of Arts and Sciences Requirements
- Click on the PFW College Requirements link above for details. Go to Requirements for the Bachelor of Arts Degree.
English Writing and Speaking: Credits 6
- See Part A in Arts and Sciences Requirements for the Bachelor of Arts Degree for Speaking requirement
International Language: Credits 10-14
Distribution: Credits 9
- See Part C in Arts and Sciences Requirements for the Bachelor of Arts Degree
- Choose courses other than SPAN
Cultural Studies: Credits 6
Core and Concentration (Major) Courses: Credits 15
Spanish Linguistics: Credits 3
One course in Spanish linguistics at the 400xx level
Peninsular Literature: Credits 3
One course in Peninsular literature at the 400xx level
Spanish-American Literature: Credits 3
One course in Spanish-American literature at the 400xx level
Spanish Culture: Credits 3
One course in Spanish, Spanish-American, or Hispanic Culture at the 400xx level
Additional Required Courses: Credits 6
Choose an additional six credits at the 400xx level from the following categories:
- Spanish, Spanish-American, or Latino culture
- Spanish language
- Peninsular or Spanish-American literature
- Sufficient additional credits to bring the total to 120
You are responsible for satisfying the graduation requirements specified for your selected program. Thus, it is essential that you develop a thorough understanding of the required courses, academic policies, and procedures governing your academic career. All requests for exceptions to specific requirements must be made in writing and may be granted only by written approval from the appropriate chair or dean.