Aug 17, 2019
Neff Hall 230 ~ 260-481-6825
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of this degree, students will:
- Articulate the historical traditions of the discipline
- Demonstrate an awareness and skillful use of the use of new technologies relevant to their major
- Explain communication concepts and theories relevant to the major.
- Explain, evaluate and apply the processes involved in productive conflict in the contexts (interpersonal, small group, organizational, mediated, public) relevant to their major
- Demonstrate awareness of diverse perspectives
- Read, speak, write and listen competently
- Demonstrate the ability to be a critically engaged citizen
- This program is available on-campus
Declaring this Major:
- A grade of C- or higher for all courses required in the major and in the minor; a GPA of 2.00 or higher for all major department courses taken
- A concentration in one of four areas is required. Links to these concentrations are in the Area of Concentration section below.
- A minor in an appropriate discipline or a second major outside the department is required (Information for minors and majors can be found in the Program Descriptions section in this Catalog)
- Two courses in the major offered in the Department of Communication can be counted in the required minor
- Students in the Multimedia Newsgathering and Reporting concentration and the Media Production minor may count three courses in their major toward this minor
- COM 32300 is not available for credit toward any Communication major or minor
In addition to the General Requirements noted above, to earn the B.A. with a major in Communication you must:
- fulfill the following core requirements
- choose and fulfill the requirements of a concentration listed in the Area of Concentration section below
General Education Requirements: Credits 33
- Click on the Purdue Fort Wayne General Education Requirements link above for details
- A grade of C- or better is required in each course used to satisfy the Purdue Fort Wayne General Education Requirements
College of Arts and Sciences Requirements
- Click on the Purdue Fort Wayne College Requirements link above for details. Go to Requirements for the Bachelor of Arts Degree.
English Writing and Speaking: Credits 6
- See Part A in Arts and Sciences Requirements for the Bachelor of Arts Degree for Speaking requirement
International Language: Credits 14
- See Part B in Arts and Sciences Requirements for the Bachelor of Arts Degree
Distribution: Credits 9
- See Part C in Arts and Sciences Requirements for the Bachelor of Arts Degree
- Choose courses other than COM
Cultural Studies: Credits 6
- See Part D in Arts and Sciences Requirements for the Bachelor of Arts Degree
Core and Concentration Courses
Communication Core: Credits 15
Area of Concentration
Choose one area of concentration from the list below. Click link for details of each concentration.
- Sufficient additional credits to bring the total to 120.
You are responsible for satisfying the graduation requirements specified for your selected program. Thus, it is essential that you develop a thorough understanding of the required courses, academic policies and procedures governing your academic career. All requests for exceptions to specific requirements must be made in writing and may be granted only by written approval from the appropriate chair or dean.