Dec 07, 2019
Liberal Arts Building 145 ~ 260-481-6841
For details on pursuing a second degree in secondary education to teach English in middle school/high school, see the School of Education Secondary Education section in this catalog.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of the degree, students will:
- display the ability to write critically, precisely, and persuasively, especially about topics relevant to their major field and their selected concentration.
- demonstrate the ability to communicate knowledge of literary, linguistics, and rhetorical conventions and traditions, especially those of America and England.
- can apply the appropriate research tools and methods to demonstrate critical understanding of their selected concentrations.
- This program is available on-campus
Declaring this Major:
- A grade of C- or higher for all courses required in the major and a GPA of 2.00 or higher for all major department courses taken.
- A concentration in one of four areas is required. Links to these concentrations are in the Area of Concentration section below.
To earn the B.A. with a major in English, you must fulfill the following requirements in addition to the General Requirements noted above:
General Education Requirements: Credits 33
- Click on the Purdue Fort Wayne General Education Requirements link above for details
- A grade of C- or higher is required in each course used to satisfy the Purdue Fort Wayne General Education Requirements
College of Arts and Sciences Requirements
- Click on the Purdue Fort Wayne College Requirements link above for details. Go to Requirements for the Bachelor of Arts Degree.
English Writing and Speaking: Credits 6
- See Part A in Arts and Sciences Requirements for the Bachelor of Arts Degree for Speaking requirement.
International Language: Credits 14
- See Part B in Arts and Sciences Requirements for the Bachelor of Arts Degree.
Distribution: Credits 9
- See Part C in Arts and Sciences Requirements for the Bachelor of Arts Degree.
- Choose courses other than ENGL
Cultural Studies: Credits 6
- See Part D in Arts and Sciences Requirements for the Bachelor of Arts Degree
Core and Concentration (Major) Courses
English Core: Credits 18
- One course in American Literature at the 3000+ level: Cr. 3
- One course in British Literature Before 1700: Cr. 3
- One course in British Literature After 1700: Cr. 3
- One course in Language Study from the following areas: Cr. 3
- History of the English Language
- Old or Middle English Literature
Area of Concentration
- Choose one area of concentration from the list below. Click link for details of each concentration.
- Sufficient additional credits to bring the total to 120.
You are responsible for satisfying the graduation requirements specified for your selected program. Thus, it is essential that you develop a thorough understanding of the required courses, academic policies, and procedures governing your academic career. All requests for exceptions to specific requirements must be made in writing and may be granted only by written approval from the appropriate chair or dean.