Feb 29, 2020
Neff Hall Room 340 ~ 260-481-6497
Economics is the study of the rational allocation of scarce resources. This major seeks to develop critical skills that will help you understand and solve problems in a wide variety of circumstances. These analytical abilities are valuable in the business world and many professional disciplines such as law and social work.
This program is offered in close cooperation with the Department of Economics in the Richard T. Doermer School of Business and Management Sciences, which offers the economics courses required for the major. Students are advised by the faculty of the Department of Economics.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of this degree, students will:
- have developed critical analytical skills to assist with understanding and solving problems in a variety of circumstances
- This program is available on-campus
Declaring this Major:
- A grade of C- or higher for all courses required in the major and a GPA of 2.00 or higher for all major department courses taken.
- Correspondence courses may not be used to satisfy any of the requirements for this major.
To earn the B.A. with a major in Economics, you must fulfill the following requirements in addition to the General Requirements noted above:
General Education Requirements: Credits 33
- Click on the Purdue Fort Wayne General Education Requirements link above for details
- A grade of C- or higher is required in each course used to satisfy the Purdue Fort Wayne General Education Requirements
College of Arts and Sciences Requirements
- Click on the Purdue Fort Wayne College Requirements link above for details. Go to Requirements for the Bachelor of Arts Degree.
English Writing and Speaking: Credits 6
- See Part A in Arts and Sciences Requirements for the Bachelor of Arts Degree for Speaking requirement
International Language: Credits 14
- See Part B in Arts and Sciences Requirements for the Bachelor of Arts Degree
Distribution: Credits 9
- See Part C in Arts and Sciences Requirements for the Bachelor of Arts Degree
- Choose courses other than ECON
Cultural Studies: Credits 6
- See Part D in Arts and Sciences Requirements for the Bachelor of Arts Degree
Economics Core Courses: Credits 27
Additional Economics Courses: Credits 9
- It is recommended to choose 3000+ or 4000+ level Economics courses
- Other courses approved by the Economics faculty may be approved
- At least two of the courses chosen must be completed at Purdue Fort Wayne
- Sufficient additional credits to bring the total to 120
You are responsible for satisfying the graduation requirements specified for your selected program. Thus, it is essential that you develop a thorough understanding of the required courses, academic policies, and procedures governing your academic career. All requests for exceptions to specific requirements must be made in writing and may be granted only by written approval from the appropriate chair or dean.