Feb 29, 2020
2018-2019 Undergraduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]
Communication Sciences and Disorders (B.S.)
Modular Clinic Classroom Bldg 111 ~ 260-481-6410
This preprofessional degree helps you prepare to pursue graduate education in speech-language pathology or audiology. Careers in these fields allow you to work with children and adults who have speech, language, swallowing, or hearing disorders. You will offer professional assistance to enhance our most distinctive human ability - communication.
The curriculum offers courses and practical experiences that prepare you to work with people who have communication disorders in settings such as schools, hospitals, rehabilitation centers, clinics, and private practices. These practicum courses offer services through the Communication Disorders Clinic to the campus and surrounding community.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of this degree, students will:
- acquire basic knowledge of the normal nature and development of speech.
- acquire basic knowledge of language and hearing.
- acquire basic knowledge of assessment, treatment and prevention of speech, language and hearing disorders.
- demonstrate basic clinical skills of assessment.
- demonstrate basic skill in the design and implementation of appropriate treatment plans.
- acquire oral and written communication abilities and interpersonal skills needed for the assessment and treatment of speech, language and hearing disorders.
- This program is available on-campus
Declaring this Major:
- A GPA of 2.00 or higher for all major department courses taken
- A grade of C- or better for all CSD courses taken is required
- You may wish to consider elective courses that fulfill requirements for a minor that supports preparation of CSD majors.
To earn a B.S. with a major in Communication Sciences and Disorders, you must fulfill the following requirements in addition to the General Requirements noted above:
General Education Requirements: Credits 33
- Click on the Purdue Fort Wayne General Education Requirements link above for details
- A grade of C- or higher is required for each course used to satisfy the Purdue Fort Wayne General Education Requirements
College of Arts and Sciences Requirements
- Click on the Purdue Fort Wayne College Requirements link above. Go to Arts and Sciences Requirements for the Bachelor of Science Degree
English Writing and Speaking: Credits 6
- See Part A in Arts and Sciences Requirements for the Bachelor of Science Degree for Speaking requirement
International Language: Credits 8
- See Part B in Arts and Sciences Requirements for the Bachelor of Science Degree
Core and Concentration (Major) Courses: Credits 28
A grade of C- or better is required for all CSD courses taken.
Additional Courses: Credits 12
- Students must complete 12 credits from the list below.
- Students intending to pursue graduate studies are encouraged to take CSD 44900 and CSD 54900.
Supporting Courses: Credits 15-16
- Sufficient additional credits to bring the total to 120
- Consider elective courses that fulfill the requirements of a minor that supports the preparation of CSD majors.
- If no minor is chosen, the following courses are recommended:
You are responsible for satisfying the graduation requirements specified for your selected program. Thus, it is essential that you develop a thorough understanding of the required courses, academic policies and procedures governing your academic career. All requests for exceptions to specific requirements must be made in writing and may be granted only by written approval from the appropriate chair or dean.